Internet Explorer Does One Thing Right

Posted By:
Posted On:
November 22nd, 2007
Posted In:
CSS & XHTML
Comments:

IE7ZoomInternet Explorer does everything wrong except for zoom!

When you type ctrl+ in Firefox, only the text is enlarged. This causes the page to either re-flow to make room for the larger text, or explode if your containing divs have a fixed height. When you type ctrl+ in Internet Explorer 7, the entire page zooms in. The text gets larger, the images get larger, everything gets larger proportionally, it’s amazing. Why does Firefox assume that if you have trouble seeing the content of a web page you’d like only the text to get bigger? It’s wrong and it only leads to people using ctrl+ as a test for how well I did my job, no matter what the restrictions (fixed height).

When Internet Explorer 7 zooms in on an entire page everything is easier to read and the page doesn’t break. It’s a better user experience.

This concludes the only good thing I will ever say about Internet Explorer.

Comments

  1. Asa Dotzler Says:

    Get Firefox 3 Beta 1. I think you’ll find the new page zoom feature works the way you expect.

    - A

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0b1/releasenotes/

  2. Matt Says:

    I stand corrected! After installing the new Firefox 3 Beta on a virtual machine (I can’t compromise my development system with beta browsers) I see that it zooms the same way IE7 does but better. This site was still slightly broken when zoomed in IE7 and it’s totally fine when zoomed in Firefox 3. Nice work, thanks for pointing that out Asa.

  3. kat Says:

    Good to know – I constantly use ctrl + in FF. I’ll download IE7 and take a look at the function (there was no ctrl + at all in previous versions, AFAIK, right?) now that it’s been improved.

  4. Jordan Says:

    As you are no doubt aware, Opera has supported full-page zoom for years, and does it extremely well, too. IE’s zoom function often breaks pages in curious ways (I recently had a very nasty problem involving margins), which I hope they will not wait for another version to fix.

Show Background